Please visit our Volunteer Opportunities page for information about helping with traffic duty.
If you are looking for in depth information about what can make drop-off/pick-up safer, Safe Routes to Schools: Student Drop-off and Pick-up Tools is a good start.
AAA's Drop-Zone Safety Tips for Parents
- Don’t make your kids cross the street in a dangerous way just because it’s more convenient for you. Many children are hurt this way.
- Drop children off on the school side of the street.
- Never double park and do not let your child out of a vehicle that is not next to the curb. This forces kids to weave between cars, which is dangerous.
- Follow Sunnybrae's traffic pattern for drop-off and pick-up. Do not park/wait in the yellow zone. Do not park in red zone.
- Reduce your speed when you enter a school zone and when children are walking or biking along the road.
- Use a "valet" at drop-off: Cars pull up and a "valet" (school staff, parent volunteers or school safety patrol) open the door to help with drop-off. Drivers are not permitted to leave the vehicle and must move on after the door is shut.
- Train your child to look all ways (left, right, behind, and front) and then to walk cautiously when crossing a street.
- Make sure all children wear seat belts and are in appropriate child safety seats or booster seats when riding in a car.
By following these simple recommendations, parents can help keep children safe.
(Courtesy of CAAA)